Be a Girl Talk School-Based Mentor!
We provide caring adults and a structured curriculum for our School-Based girls who seek love, acceptance, guidance, and validation. If you have one hour a week to give, for 10 weeks each semester, consider becoming a School-Based Mentor!
School-Based Mentor Eligibility Requirements:
Must be at least 19 years of age
Possess a clean criminal history
Have reliable transportation
Have a heart for teen girls and raising their self-esteem.
Is interested in the goals, objectives and programs of Girl Talk Inc.
Have personal qualities of integrity, transparency, credibility, dedication, commitment, loyalty, and a passion for improving the lives of Girl Talk’s participants.
We expect our volunteers to make our girls a #1 Priority.
School-Based Mentor Responsibilities and Breakdowns:
Through 10 weekly after-school sessions, each semester, facilitated by Girl Talk mentors, girls gain confidence, tools for academic achievement and success, and college & career learning. The girls also have the opportunity to tour colleges, universities and other training programs. School-Based mentors are responsible for implementing the 10-week curriculum at one of Knox County’s Schools and chaperoning the college off-site. We are looking for loving, caring adults who are willing to spend time helping to build confidence and self-esteem in our girls, as well facilitating the established curriculum each semester.
1 hour, once a week, after school for 10 weeks each semester. We expect our volunteers to make our girls a HIGH priority, and to:
- Have a heart for girls and a vested interest in raising their self-esteem.
- Be interested in the goals, objectives and programs of Girl Talk Inc.
- Possess integrity, transparency, credibility, dedication, commitment, loyalty, and a passion for improving the lives of our girls.
- Be willing and able to attend volunteer trainings including a yearly weekend mentor retreat.
- Commit to delivering the program as outlined in the volunteer guide.
- Be able to maintain a great relationship with the schools we serve and be a positive and professional representative of Girl Talk.
Application, Selection and Training Process:
All volunteers will go through the following application, selection and training process. Interested persons are given a copy of these policies and procedures to review. If they feel they meet these requirements and would like to be considered for a role as a Girl Talk Volunteer, they must:
- Complete the volunteer application, including references and permission for a criminal background check.
- The applicant will then be invited for an interview with Girl Talk Staff. This is a time for Girl Talk to find out more about the candidate and the candidate to find out more about Girl Talk.
- Following a successful interview, Girl Talk will then run the criminal background check and check the references on the application.
- Following the background check, successful candidates will be offered a spot in an upcoming Mentor Training.
The safety and well being of our Girl Talk participants is our number one priority. If at any time during the process, it becomes apparent that the applicant is not a good fit for Girl Talk, or does not meet our eligibility requirements, they will be notified via US mail.
Become a Girl Talk School-Based Mentor!
Please begin your application process by completing the form below.